The Barrier is Broken: A Sub $100 Blu-ray Player
Wal-Mart has just lowered the price on the Magnavox NB530MGX Blu-ray player. The new price is $98, which is a “rollback” from their previous price of $168. This is the exact same model player that was sold on Fathers Day weekend for $128. The same machine is currently listed on Amazon.com for $360.99 $199.99.
This is an upgraded model from Magnavox’s previous Blu-ray player, the NB500MG9. This model differs from last year’s model in that it has an optical audio out (in addition to a coaxial cable – last year’s model just had a coaxial out). It also has an SD Card slot – last year’s model did not. And it looks different – last year’s model was basic black with a silver “Frame” around it. This year’s model has a silver-gray plate at the bottom, as well as a “standby/on” button on the front.
Mind you it isn’t the highest-spec’d machine on the market (would you expect it to be?), and only Profile 1.1, but at this price it’s tough not to pick one up - even for the extra bedroom.
But, sometimes you really get what you pay for. The worst thing to happen to Blu-ray right now would be to put out a “value” priced Blu-ray player for new adopters and have it not perform well. It will hurt the format, not the manufacturer.
- Player Type: Blu-ray Player
- Disc Changer: 1-Disc
- Disc Playback Capability: BD Video, BD-RE (Single/Dual), BD-R (Single/Dual), DVD Video, DVD-R, DVD-RW, CD-R, CD-RW, Audio CD, DTS-CD
- File Playback Formats: HD JPEG
- Decoder: Dolby True HD,DTS, DTS HD, Linear PCM, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus
- DVD Upconversion: 1080p
- Remote Control: Yes
- Connectors: Video Output: 1 set Component Video Out: 1 set Audio Output (L+R): 1 set Digital Audio Output (Coaxial): 1 set Digital Audio Output (Optical): 1 set